Before Going to Buy a generator either it’s Solar, Dual Fuel or any type of Generator one must think about, What Size Generator Do I Need?
If you have a similar type of question in your mind or want to know about how to calculate Generator Size for a particular home according to dimension and power uses then I suggest you read this article properly. I guarantee after reading this you will get mastery to calculate the Generator Size & requirements.
Always keep in mind that the Generator Size varies with the Power used it does not depend on your home or office.
Before deciding the Generator Size we first need to know about our Power Consumption. For this take a Pen & Paper and Write down all the appliances used in your home or office.
Write the Appliance name on the left side of the paper and Power (Wattage) on the Right Side. This will clear your mind and ease your decision. for Example; At my home I have
Note: This is only an example to calculate your approx home power consumption, the data may vary in your case.
So on the basis of some calculations, I recommend Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator for Heavy Power use for big House & Champion Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator for small House.
The 1st one will give you the Peak Power of 12500 Watts & the 2nd one will give you 3400 Watts. Here in this case we go back to our Power calculation.
Our Power calculation is 4226 Watts then we try to buy the generator that will give the power more than 4226 W. If you have the same situation then Buy Champion Power Equipment Generator of 4500 Watts. Which gives you your desire result without wasting your money.
Now I think you get your answer about “What Size of Generator You need in your Home”. If you want to go into detail then please continue your reading.
What is Electric Generator?
A generator is a non-electric machine that makes and uses mechanical power, typically to produce electricity to power lights and appliances. Generators are usually gasoline or diesel-powered internal combustion engines that use air as the source of compressed fuel. There are generators meant for home use, which can be small enough to fit in the trunk of an SUV if necessary.
In order to choose your generator size, consider how you plan on using it in your day-to-day life. If you’re planning on bringing it camping with you, then a slightly larger generator will suffice because the situation is more demanding for a larger unit.
However, if you plan on using it mostly at home or in a remote area where you won’t need to plug it into the wall, then a smaller generator will be more than adequate.
Another thing to consider when choosing your generator size is how many uses you plan on getting out of it. For example, if you’re buying a generator for emergency purposes, then buy one that will generate the most power as possible and has multiple uses (ie: can charge up to 3 mobile devices at once). Alternatively, if you’re buying a generator for camping, don’t buy one that will charge up to 5 devices at once.
On the other hand, a portable generator can be used to power up an entire house or small business if necessary (generators can produce thousands of watts). If you’re planning on using a generator primarily for your home, then it’s best to purchase one that is powerful enough to take care of the demands during an emergency as well. The larger the unit you purchase, the more reliable and efficient it will be.
If you ever plan on relocating though, you may want to choose a smaller generator for your situation because they are easier and cheaper to move around.
How to choose the best generator for your home based on size, number of uses, and cost.
- Look at our chart and choose the generator size that matches yours based on your needs.
- Think about how you will use the generator in your home, environment, and lifestyle. We usually recommend purchasing a generator between 1 kW (1,000 watts) to 20 kW (20,000 watts). This probably sounds like a high number but remember that you typically don’t need more than 10 kW for one of our most popular generators – The Generac 6500 watt . In some areas of the country it can be useful to have more power available than 10 kW but only because the weather may require you to run other appliances or tools during an emergency or after an outage .
- Look at the generator capacity and the price. If you are looking to spend under $1,000 on a generator than you should look at either 1 kW to 5 kW or 10 kW to 20 kW. If you are looking for a more robust generator that can handle multiple uses than we highly recommend generators with higher wattage ratings such as 15 kW or higher.
The Generac 15000 Watt Generator has over 15,000 watts of power and requires a 10/30-amp outlet . As an example, if you were planning on charging 3 electric vehicles at once during an outage, buying the Generac 15000 Watt Generator would be perfect for your situation. (It is also a great option if you have a house or business and want to purchase a generator that can power the entire facility if necessary).
- Look at the size of your generator. Do you need something that is small enough to tuck in your trunk or do you need something on wheels? Remember, in order to use a generator, you have to plug it into an outlet. If your home only has 20-amp outlets than you will need a generator with 10/20-amp outlets (Generac actually makes some of these models ). You will also have to take into consideration where the nearest outlet is. If the generator is too big to fit under your car than you will have to use an extension cord to connect it. Although this will cost you more in the long-term, it will allow you to use your generator.
- Consider how many uses you want out of your generator and what other appliances it may be able to power when running on a larger generator size. As a rule of thumb, if you plan on running three 20-amp outlets worth of appliances than we recommend buying a 20 kW or higher unit .
The Generac 6500 watt is a perfect generator for powering a home as well as charging multiple things at once. It is also one of our most popular generators and will likely be able to power your entire home for the majority of your needs .
- Keep in mind the amount of noise a generator makes and where you will ultimately place it. If you plan on moving your generator, then make sure that you are paying attention to what other stakeholders or members of your household know about it . If they are against having a generator because it takes up space in the garage on wheels, than don’t buy one.
- Never buy a generator without reading the owner’s manual. While you may already have an idea of what a generator does, the information is detailed in the owner’s manual. It contains important information on how long it will last, when to change the oil, and when/how you should store it.
- Generator warranties can vary significantly so it is important to determine if they are worth buying into before purchasing your unit . Again, this is something that should be taken into consideration before purchasing your generator as different manufacturers have different warranty guidelines that could affect how much you pay out each year for your unit .
- You can also find more information about generators, their efficiency, and how they will affect your home by searching online. If you plan on using your generator for long periods of time than it is important to make sure that you know the amount of electricity that you are using. Generators use up fuel very quickly so many people like to use them in short bursts with periods of downtime so they can be sure to save money over time .
- Finally, make sure that your generator has all the parts necessary to run it right out of the box. There have been countless reports of homeowners returning generators because they were missing parts or cords . This is important because you need to be sure that your generator runs right out of the box. If it doesn’t then you will need to file a claim with the manufacturer before replacing or repairing it.
Remember that even our generators have parts and pieces that may not be needed but they serve a purpose in the event that something does go wrong. For example, if your generator makes it through its warranty period and then starts to break down, Generac will replace parts for free until your generator has been fixed .
How to get a better price on your generator
The best part about investing in a generator is finding ways to save yourself some money in the long-term. We have prepared an easy list of tips that we suggest you use in order to get the best price possible on your generator. They do not apply to all brands but should be considered if you are trying to score a discount on one of our products.
- Ask the dealer if he/she has any additional equipment for sale. There are often small appliances and tools available and these will usually help you save a little bit off of your purchase price . These extra additions can range from free coffee makers to weather monitoring devices, so it is important that you ask while calling about a specific model if they have anything else that may be of interest .
- Don’t pay full price for your generator . If you have been considering purchasing a generator and need a little extra help deciding which one to buy, then it may be worth your while to wait until the end of the year when most manufacturers are running promotions. Most generators do not have much of an expiration date so there is no real need to rush. However, if you are interested in a specific model and would like it sooner than later then we recommend waiting until the end up the year and looking into buying that model .
- Search online . If you are planning on purchasing from a dealer or store than you will want to call or visit them first before doing any research online. They may charge you a little bit more, but they will also be able to tell you what the best price is available online .
- Shop around . Since there are so many different options out there and sales that fluctuate from time to time we advise that you check the stores around you as well as online before making a final decision. Again, this can save you a little money on your purchase price but also on shipping costs when it is time to receive your generator .
- Shop for discounts. You can often get certain models cheaper than others due to their age, model numbers, or fuel tank size and it’s best to know which of these apply to your situation before making your purchase .
- Don’t shop on an empty stomach . Shopping for a generator on an empty stomach can be dangerous and it is important that you make sure to eat before you start browsing online. We recommend that you check your nearest store first so that you can get the best idea of what is available in person before jumping online. This will also give you a good idea of what the price difference between home and store sales are .
- Get everything done in one trip . Try to get everything you need done while at the store to avoid unnecessary shipping and handling costs on your generator. Also, make sure that you have enough room in your vehicle to move the unit to where you will be storing it .
- Think about replacing those appliances . If you need one of your older home appliances replaced then consider how much money you can save now by replacing them with a portable generator. For example, if your kitchen is completely empty and contains nothing more than a refrigerator and oven then you may be able to avoid buying electrical parts for those, or at least cutting down on the amount that you have to spend on them over time.
- Think about how much electricity costs . If saving enough money on your generator will cover the cost of electrical part replacements than that may be worth considering as well. For example, if you are planning on rebuilding the inside of your home to meet your specific needs and it includes changing out the electrical system than a generator can save you money in the long-term .
How to look after your generator
The most important part about owning a generator is how well you look after it and which type of maintenance plan you have. Generators have an extensive list of parts and pieces that all work together to make sure that everything works properly so it is important that you understand exactly what they do. We have put together an easy list of tips for looking after your generator that will make sure that everything runs like clockwork for many years to come.
- Plan ahead . Planning ahead is the most important part of maintaining your generator and that means that you should have a plan for every situation. If you are planning on using it during an emergency then you will want to purchase extra fuel before hand as well as making sure that it is easy to get to where it needs to go .
- Keep it stored in a dry place . Obviously, you do not want your generator outside in the rain or snow so you will need to make sure that it is covered properly up and protected from the elements. This will prevent it from rusting or starting to break down over time, so we recommend that you keep it in a shed or garage where it can be kept dry and protected .
- Change your oil regularly . Changing the oil in your generator is the most important part of looking after your generator so make sure that you do this every four months or so once you complete this maintenance tip. This is an easy step and all you need to do is send the old oil off to the store with your receipt for reimbursement of course!
- Lubricate all moving parts . One of the hardest parts about maintaining a generator is knowing when something needs lubrication and what kind of lubricant to use. We recommend that you apply a small amount of oil and grease to all moving parts within your generator, this may seem like a lot but you will want to make sure that it is completely lubricated before storing it for weeks or months at a time .
- Replace spark plugs . Replacing the spark plugs in your generator every month or so is another easy way to make sure that your generator is running smoothly and efficiently. This is an important tip in how to look after your generator and you will need to change both plugs at the same time as well as wiping off any excess with a clean piece of cloth from time to time .
- Clean the filter . The most important part of the maintenance process is to make sure that you clean the filter on a regular basis in order to keep it running. We recommend replacing this filter every two months or once a year as needed but checking it twice or so a month should be enough .
- Keep the coolant fresh . Keeping the coolant in your generator fresh will prevent breakdowns from happening and will help your generator run like new for years to come. We recommend that you change this every six months or so according to how often you use it and how often it is used .
- Inspect and replace parts as needed. You will need to inspect some internal parts of your generator from time to time in order to make sure that everything is running smoothly. This may include circuit boards, fuses, mainboards, or any of the other internal components. Replacing these parts as needed will help your generator run like new for many years .
- Keep it away from children . It goes without saying that everything with an electrical current needs to be kept away from children and pets in order to avoid any accidents. This includes the fuel inside and any circuits inside so make sure that you keep it all locked up and out of reach before you go on vacation or leave for long periods of time .
- Regular maintenance checks . Another important part of looking after your generator is to make sure that you check it every now and then in order to make sure that everything is running smoothly. This may include lubricating anything that needs it, keeping the coolant fresh, and looking at the filters to make sure that they are clean. This will help you in the long-term .
- Clean it after each use . After each day of use, you should clean your generators parts so they are working properly again for another day. This may be done with a special cleaning product or simply using water and a rag inside the generator .
- Inspect the oil level . Make sure that you look at the oil level in your generator regularly as well. This will help you in the long-term and keep any dirt away from the insides of your generator so that it works properly .
- Get a portable inverter . If your generator draws power from batteries, you may want to consider a portable inverter device so that it can be charged up easily. If you are using it for power outages then this is a must, besides the regular maintenance checks that should be done on your generator as well .
- Keep the spark plugs clean . Keeping the spark plugs clean is another easy way to make sure that everything else works properly in your generator so make sure that you do this every month or so according to how often you use it. This should include cleaning them with a wire brush and replacing them every time needed to keep everything working at full capacity .
- Replace light bulbs when needed . Using incandescent lights inside your generator is dangerous and may cause a fire or electrical failure so you will want to replace them as needed with LED bulbs. This can be expensive but it will help to keep your generator running smoothly and safely for many years .
- Use the surge protectors . If you are using your generator for power outages, then you will want to make sure that you are using surge protectors so that they do not overcharge the batteries in your generator. This is important and one of the easiest ways to make sure that it works properly for many years .
- Install an inverter inside your house . If you are using your generator while you are camping or in the wilderness, then you will likely want to install an inverter inside your house so that you can use it to light up the entire house. This is important for safety and convenience reasons .
- Store it correctly . One of the most important parts of looking after your generator is making sure that it is stored away from moisture and kept in a safe place at night and when not in use. If you do this , then all you will need to worry about is making sure that everything else inside works properly .
- Test it regularly . One of the best ways to make sure that your generator works properly for many years is to test it regularly. This may include checking all of its parts and inspecting its inner workings as well as checking for any problems with the batteries .
- Clean the air filters . You will also want to clean the air filters on a regular basis in order to keep them working properly and running smoothly for many years .
- Avoid overloading your batteries . If you are using your generator for light power outages then you will want to avoid overloading your batteries so that they do not get too hot. This can cause a fire or other problems so you will want to make sure that you are using surge protectors on any devices that are drawing power from your generator .
- Use it regularly . One of the best ways to make sure that your generator runs smoothly for years to come is to use it regularly. This may include pulling it out a few times a year and checking all of its parts inside and also pulling out those air filters in order to make sure that they are clean. This can be expensive but it is well worth the cost if you need portable power .
- Keep fuel in your generator. It goes without saying that you need to fuel your generator on a regular basis in order to keep it running smoothly. Depending on how much it is used, you will likely need to refill the fuel tank every few months .
- Check belt tension . Another important part of looking after your generator is making sure that you check the belt tension regularly. This will help you in the long-term by making sure that your generator is working properly and running smoothly for many years .
- Conserve electricity . Using electric heaters and even water heaters inside your generator is dangerous and may cause fire or other electrical issues so you will likely want to avoid this. This will help you in the long-term by keeping your generator lasting for many years .
- Clean the exhaust system every few weeks . Inside your generator is a collection of especially sensitive exhaust pipes and a full air filter that is meant to clean any leftover dust and debris inside your spark plugs so make sure that you clean them regularly for longer lasting operation .
- Inspect the oil filters regularly . If you are running your generator off a fuel source then you will need to replace the oil filters on a regular basis to make sure that it is running properly. This will help in the long-term by keeping your generator last for many years .
- Keep air filters clean . Keeping the air filters inside your generator clean is very important for it to work properly so make sure that you do this on a regular basis in order to get the most out of it for many years. This can be expensive but it is one of the easiest ways to make sure that everything inside works well .
- Disconnect the spark plugs before storage . If you are storing your generator for any length of time, then you will want to make sure that you disconnect the spark plugs before doing so. This is important in the event that they start to rust over time. This will help keep the generator running smoothly for years to come .
- Use fuel stabilizer . If you are going to store your generator for any length of time without using it, then you will want to make sure that you use a fuel stabilizer first. This will help it last longer and run smoothly when you do use it again in the future .
- Use a hose with pressure washer . One of the best ways to keep your generator running smoothly is by using a hose with a pressure washer on it to clean all of the dust and debris from the air filters. This is important in order to make sure that it is running smoothly for years to come .
- Clean the spark plugs . Spark plugs are very sensitive and should be cleaned regularly with a good quality brush in order to avoid any carbon buildup around them. This will help you in the long-term by keeping your generator running properly and smoothly for many years .
- Keep gas lines clear . If you are storing your generator for any length of time, then you will want to make sure that all of the fuel lines inside it are clear before doing so. This is important in the event that there is any water inside your gas tanks .
- Safely store the generator . If you are storing your generator for any length of time, then you will want to plug all of its electrical properties so that they do not start to overheat. This is important in the event that they start to overheat and cause a fire or damage to other parts inside when used for long periods .
- Use longer extension cords whenever possible . If you are using the generator in a remote area, then you will want to make sure that you use longer extension cords whenever possible. This will help to keep your generator functioning at its best for many years .
- Use safety equipment . If you are using your generator for long periods of time in a remote area, then you will want to make sure that you use safety equipment. This can include safety goggles and ear protection so that your hearing is not permanently damaged by loud noises. This will help in the long-term by ensuring that your hearing goes back to normal once you have finished.
- Unplug the unit before storing it . If you are storing your generator for any length of time without using it, then you will want to make sure that you unplug the unit before doing so. This is important in the event that it starts to overheat as a result of being plugged in .
- Use a good quality oil . If you are using your generator for long periods of time, then you will want to make sure that it is being put into good quality oil year after year in order to ensure that there are no problems for many years to come. This will help keep it running smoothly for many years .
- Replace the spark plugs regularly . Spark plugs should be replaced on a regular basis in order to prevent them from getting corroded over time. This will help keep the generator running smoothly for many years to come .
- Use a fuel additive . If you are using a fuel additive, then you will want to replace it at least once per year to make sure that the generator is running smoothly. This will help in the long-term by ensuring that your generator continues working for many years to come .
What is the Difference between Watts vs. Amps vs. Volts?
There are basically three main things when we use electric appliances those are Watts, Ampear & Volt. So lets start this terminology;
- Watts: Watt is the SI unit of Power. The power of a system in which one joule of energy is transferred per second.
- Amp: It is the Short form of ampere a Unit of Electric Current. It’smeasuring the electromagnetic force between electrical conductors carrying electric current.
- Volts: Its the electromotive force, the potential difference between two points of a conducting wire carrying a constant current of 1 ampere
In this article, I try to explain how to calculate What size Generator do a person Needs for their Home use. If you still want to know more things or Want to suggest something different then please do comment. I must reply to all your Queries.
The above list should help you learn how to take care of your generator so that it performs at its best for many years. It should help you to make sure that it runs for many years without any problems so you can continue to use it.
The above guide is a compilation of information that we hope will help you learn how to take care of your generator. You will find that the most important things are tips on how to clean the inside so that it runs smoothly for many years.
You should use good quality oil and fuel stabilizers once every few weeks and also learn how to safely store your generator in order to keep it running properly. This is essential in the long-term in order to make sure that your generator lasts for many years without problems .
You should also make sure that you take good care of the spark plugs by cleaning them on a regular basis. This is essential in the long-run so as to ensure that they do not start to corrode over time which could result in your generator not working properly if left for long periods .
The above tips will help you learn how to learn how to take care of your generator so that it runs smoothly and lasts for many years with no problems. You should make sure that the air filters are removed and cleaned once every few weeks which will help keep everything inside running properly for many years.